Thursday, January 7, 2010

Championship

About thirty years ago, when I cared deeply about the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Aggies, I realized that for me, lucid thinking on matters related to football was usually overwhelmed by waves of irrational superstition. Although my interest in football has waned a little, I still haven't overcome the superstitious thought tendencies.

Tonight, the Alabama Crimson Tide play the Texas U longhorns for this year's version of the BCS championship. I like Alabama and can't stomach Texas U and their football program, so this one's a no-brainer. Roll, Tide, roll.

Here's where superstition comes in: If Alabama wins, it will be an omen that 2010 will be a pretty good year. If they win in a rout (two TDs or more), 2010 should be a fantastic year. Conversely, if the longhorns win, it will portend a year that stinks like shit. Check me on this; I'll bet I'm right.

Added 11:48 pm: Alabama 37-21 over Texas U. The whine from Austin should be audible in all parts of the state. "If McCoy isn't hurt early, the longhorns win by three TDs."

My answer to that: If Sam Bradford isn't hurt early, OU beats Texas U in October, and the longhorns aren't even in this game tonight. If, if, if....

No comments:

Post a Comment