Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Great neighbors

One of life's blessings that can easily be taken for granted is having great neighbors living on either side of you. For several years, I've experienced that blessing. The family next door (to my right, if I'm standing in my front door facing the street) have been great neighbors. They're a Christian family that actually lives out in practice the values and virtues that many so-called Christians only talk about. Whenever I need a helping hand, Bill is always ready to pitch in. His children are polite, their home and lot are kept in near-immaculate condition, and best of all, they live so peacefully that I'm rarely even aware of them until I need help cutting tree limbs or changing a flat tire.

Having great neighbors on either side of you is comforting. It's like having a buffer zone between your home and the rest of the world.

I watched Bill's son and daughter grow from little kids to young people, and it was like it happened overnight. It seems like the older I get, the faster time flies. At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I have to say the country'd be better off if all our kids had the kind of upbringing Bill's have had.

Last night, as I took out the trash, I saw a "For Sale" sign in Bill's front yard. Now I'm sad. And I wonder if my next neighbors will be as great as the ones I'm losing, or has my luck run out ?

No comments:

Post a Comment