Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Payloads: An Unofficial Survey

Yesterday I went to the clinic to have a sebaceous cyst on my back treated, and had to wait awhile to be seen by the doctor. To amuse myself, I started counting the people who were seated in the waiting area or passing through it and classifying them based on their apparent weight. At the point I was called in, I had counted 64 people, ten of whom appeared to be of normal (healthy) weight. The other 54, including some clinic staff, were hauling big payloads around. About a third of the large payload group looked like XXXLs or more.

Between 9:30 and 9:45 AM on a weekday morning, about 84 percent of the people in one section of a health clinic were noticeably overweight. There's a message in there someplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment