Sunday, February 27, 2011

The 83rd Time

The 83rd presentation of the Academy Awards has just ended, and I liked the revised format used this year. In a typical year, I might see one or two movies that are nominated for Oscars, but this year I've seen four of the ten Best Picture nominees: Inception, True Grit, 127 Hours, and The King's Speech. In my opinion, all four were excellent films, although for very different reasons.

True Grit was the best movie I saw this year, the only one I paid to watch twice. Someday, if I ever compile a list of the ten or twenty best movies I ever saw, True Grit will be near the top of the list, along with another Coen brothers movie, No Country For Old Men (which won an Oscar, unlike True Grit).

The King's Speech and 127 Hours would be tied for second place on my list of 2010's best movies. I wasn't sure what to expect from either when I bought our tickets, and both ended up being pictures I want to see again on DVD. Inception wasn't in the same category as the first three, but in terms of impressive visual effects it was one of the best movies ever made. Another movie I saw last year, Clint Eastwood's Hereafter, was only nominated for one technical award.

Based on the excerpts shown on tonight's Oscar telecast, I'll need to catch The Fighter, The Social Network, Rabbit Hole, and Winter's Bone on DVD. All look like my kind of movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment