Saturday, February 6, 2010

Recruiting

In still another sign of the times, national signing day came and went this week and I barely noticed. As recently as a few years ago, I was fairly obsessed with the whole process of college football recruiting, and compiled my own lists of Texas Top 100 high school players from the various newspaper ratings and Texas Football magazine.

When it came to attracting bluechip talent, Texas A&M gradually began to fall behind their Big 12 South rivals on a consistent basis, with the consequences apparent on Saturdays in the fall. It was also obvious that even the highest-ranked Aggie recruits weren't quite as good as expected, or weren't being developed by the coaching staff. Like everything else about college football, when it became clear that A&M wasn't seriously competitive in recruiting, I asked myself, "What's the use ? Why waste my time on this stuff ?"

And that was the end of the bluechip recruit lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment