Monday, July 1, 2019

The 4th of July

The annual Independence Day celebration is coming up this week, and I'll admit my patriotic enthusiasm, never exactly overwhelming, is almost zilch now. The belief that the United States was far and away the greatest place on earth was baked into me in childhood, and nothing I experienced between preschool and November 2016 diminished that broad understanding and my own confidence that, in the long run, we could always get everything back on the right track.

What changed? Mainly, I learned the American system of government isn't as formidable as I believed it was. The system only works when the president is willing to respect and adhere to all the norms, traditions and rules of the Constitution, or failing that, is held accountable by the members of his party in Congress.

Donny Stink Eye and Moscow Mitch don't give a shit about any norms, traditions, or Constitutional requirements, and their goddamned party members are happy with that. So now we have concentration camps full of children and Nazis in the streets. Are you kidding me?

I won't be waving any flags on July 4th until a massive majority of Americans decide they've had enough corruption and scrub the place out.

PS added 4:46 PM Tuesday: According to the Gallup poll, I'm not alone.

A large percentage of (R)s are extremely proud of America. Three years of the worst goddamn shit circus I've ever lived through is what makes (R)s feel really good about the country. That tells me all I need to know about those worthless assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment