Friday, December 22, 2017

Football 2017: The Bowl Games

It's nearly Christmas, meaning that the college football post-season games are already being played, but the good ones are still ahead. Team Speed Kills has ranked the nine games that feature teams from the SEC, and I'll probably watch most of them. I'll pull for the SEC team in a few, and the opposing team in the rest. Right now, I'm sure I'll root for Texas A&M against Wake Forest, Missouri against Texas, and Georgia against OU. Actually, it's more accurate to say I want Texas and OU to lose, rather than Missouri and Georgia to win.

My picks aren't solid in three other games, but right now I'm leaning toward Notre Dame over LSU, Louisville over Mississippi State, and Clemson over Alabama. I've started to resent SEC West teams that regularly whip Texas A&M.

Updated 11:09 PM 28 December: The Big Dumpster Fire is doing reasonably well in the lower tier bowl games. So far, Kansas State has beaten UCLA, Texas U has beaten Missouri, and Oklahoma State beat Virginia Tech today. The B12 losers have been Texas Tech and West Virginia.

Tomorrow, Texas A&M faces Wake Forest as a 3-point underdog. We'll see how that works out.

Update 2:33 PM 30 December:  Since the previous update, the BDF has added another bowl win (TCU over Stanford), and Texas A&M has lost its third consecutive bowl game (Wake Forest won 55-52). I can remember when the Aggies were practically a lock to win any game in which they could score 30 points. That's when the defense was called the Wrecking Crew. Now they score 52 points and even that's not enough. This defense isn't wrecking anything; it's getting wrecked. It remains to be seen whether replacing Kevin Sumlin with Jimbo Fisher will prove to be money well spent, or just more pissing into the wind.

Update 6:06 PM 1 January:  So far, not a great day for SEC teams. South Carolina managed a 26-19 win over Michigan, then things went bad. Central Florida knocked off Auburn 34-27, and Notre Dame got a 21-17 win over LSU. At halftime, the Sooners hold a 31-17 lead over Georgia at the Rose Bowl. Alabama against Clemson later this evening.

Update 12:08 AM 2 January: A long day of football, and I quit too soon on the best game. In the first half of the Rose Bowl, Georgia's defense was no match for OU's offense, and I said to hell with it when the score was a 31-14 Sooner lead. That was my mistake, because Georgia ended up winning 54-48 in the second OT period. I tried to watch the Sugar Bowl, but Alabama's defense was more than Clemson could handle, and the Tide won 24-6. So the national championship game will match two SEC teams, and I hope Georgia gives Alabama a beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment