Monday, January 12, 2015

Football 2014: Championship

Tonight we'll finally put the finishing touches on Football 2014 when Oregon and Ohio State meet in the national championship game. I expected that Alabama would be in the game instead of Ohio State, but things didn't work out that way.

My formula requires me to root for Oregon (favored by about 6 points). I had a good friend who lived in Oregon and developed into a Ducks fan, and Texas A&M has never played against or lost to Oregon.

On the other hand, the Aggies are 0-4 against Ohio State, and the Buckeyes have ruined my day three times since I graduated. In September 1970, while I was doing time at Fort Sill, the Aggies lost 56-13 at Columbus. Then, after winning the SWC in 1986, Kyler Murray's dad had his worst game ever against Ohio State in a 28-12 Cotton Bowl loss. Finally, the last time A&M won a conference championship in 1998, they turned around and lost 24-14 to OSU in the Sugar Bowl.

So I'm depending on Oregon, a team that has never beaten A&M, to get payback  for me against Ohio State, a team that beats A&M every time they play them. That's the way the formula works.

Added 9:18 PM same day: Ohio State 21 Oregon 10 at halftime. The Buckeyes look like the superior team on both offense and defense. Oregon recovered two Ohio State fumbles but couldn't convert either into points. The Ducks did me a favor by eliminating Florida State in the Rose Bowl, but I don't think they'll knock off OSU unless things change dramatically in the second half.

Added 11:00 PM: I turned it off with Ohio State ahead 35-20 and less than four minutes left in the game. Oregon is good, but Ohio State is better... a lot better. I only need to watch games like this to realize how far Texas A&M needs to travel to be a contender for any kind of championship. The kind of football played by Ohio State doesn't look anything like the kind of football that the Aggies play.

Added 11:18 PM: Final score 42-20 after the Buckeyes punched in a rub-it-in touchdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment