Thursday, September 5, 2013

Football 2013: Week Two

College Football News predicts the Aggies will beat SHSU by four touchdowns, with the final score 55-27. The line is 40 points, so the Aggies aren't expected to cover the spread. Again. Apparently Sam Houston State is a powerhouse at their level, and has enough offensive firepower to challenge what has so far been, at best, an unremarkable A&M defense.

Added 1:30 PM Friday: The best of the rest of tomorrow's TV games: Florida at Miami, South Carolina at Georgia, and Notre Dame at Michigan. CFN predicts Florida will beat Miami 31-20, Georgia will edge Spurrier 34-30, and the Irish will scrape by Michigan 23-20. In the old Aggie neighborhood, Oklahoma is a big favorite over visiting West Virginia, and the longhorns are favored to win at BYU. I can't imagine getting bored enough to watch either Big 12 game.

The Big 12 has ten members, and the Big 10 has twelve. I still think those conferences should trade names and make things easier for me to keep straight.

Added 5:05 PM Saturday: In today's first big time TV game, Miami exploited several Gator turnovers to beat Florida 21-16. In the biggest conference TV game, SEC East powers Georgia and South Carolina are tied 24-24 at halftime. The Aggies are on the radio at 6:00 PM.

Added 7:16 PM Saturday: Georgia pulled away in the second half to win 41-30. The Aggies lead SHSU 20-7 and just missed a FG attempt. I thought the kicking game deficiencies had been resolved, but maybe not.

Saturday 8:08 PM: Third quarter update -- SHSU scores to trim the Aggie lead to 30-21. What the fuck is happening with the Aggies? Looking ahead to Alabama? Try to focus, goddammit.

Saturday 11:58 PM: Final score was 65-28. In addition to the 28 points, SHSU rolled up nearly 400 yards in total offense. Still, this win was by a greater margin than the 2012 game, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The first real test for A&M comes next Saturday. By this time next week, I'll have a clearer understanding of how good the Aggies really are.

Sunday 11:16 AM: The NFL season begins today, and I'm still deciding if I'll watch any pro games this year. According to the Internet, BYU gave the longhorns a 40-21 beating last night. Damn! Now I wish I'd watched that game. I enjoy seeing the longhorns lose almost as much as I like seeing A&M win. For the time being, teasips are focused on Mack Brown, Major Applewhite and their defensive coaches, and have forgotten how much they hate Johnny Manziel.

No comments:

Post a Comment