Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sidney Lumet

For several years I've been watching a lot of 'oldies' on Turner Classic Movies, a channel that I find to be more consistently entertaining than just about any other. I've discovered that if a movie was directed by William Wyler, it's definitely worth seeing and will more than likely be an excellent picture. In that sense, Wyler has become a name brand.

Sidney Lumet may have been a notch below William Wyler, as most film directors are, but he still put together a catalog of worthwhile movies that's hard to match. I saw a few in theaters during the 1960s and 70s, and have at least a dozen on DVD. Lumet was another name brand film director, reliably turning out movies I was glad I had an opportunity to see. Unfortunately, resigned from life this week at 86.

No comments:

Post a Comment