Saturday, August 14, 2010

Movie Time

Mrs. bee has been up in the north country this week, helping R with the baby, and I've been tending to the homestead and fretting about surgery next week to remove what remains of my natural dentition and prepare me for dentures. The internet is a wonderful source of information, but sometimes there can be such a thing as too much information. Right now, I think I know more than I want to about the difficult transition from real teeth to falsies.

The good thing about having the house to myself is that I'm catching up on my movie viewing. So far, I've watched The Messenger, The Road, Zombieland, Paper Heart, and The Constant Gardener. Two of those movies star Woody Harrelson, an actor who's grown on me, much as Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, and Philip Seymour Hoffman have.

Harrelson was up for an Oscar for his performance in The Messenger, in which he plays an army captain assigned to notify next of kin when a loved one has been killed in Iraq. He wasn't up for an Oscar for Zombieland, but if there was an award for outstanding performance in a hilarious spoof of zombie movies, he'd have taken home the gold.

The Road is based on a novel by Cormac McCarthy and, like The Messenger, is gut-wrenching to watch. It stars Viggo Mortensen, who is growing on me at a slightly slower rate than Woody Harrelson. Paper Heart is a movie that I first heard about when one of my kids mentioned it on Facebook. It's a touching semi-documentary about love, and features actors that I hadn't seen in a movie previously.

I still have about 36 hours until life returns to normal, and I'll probably work another movie or two into the schedule. One I want to see is Magnolia, but at three hours it may be too long to watch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment