Monday, December 28, 2009

Shreveport shrivel

One indication that college football may have more bowl games than it needs is when a team that loses one finishes the season with a losing record. That's the situation the Aggies seem to be facing, trailing Georgia 24-14 as the 4th quarter begins. I'm thinking 6-7 is more than a possibility.

When I completed my walk, the game was tied 0-0 in the second quarter. Hmmm, I thought, looks like I haven't missed much. I sat down and watched some more head-butting, then the Aggies put together a neat 75-yard drive to soar into a 7-0 lead. I went to the bathroom, stopped to check my e-mail, and by the time I got back to the game Georgia was ahead 14-7. Apparently, they returned the Aggie kickoff for a TD, then blocked a punt to set up another TD from pointblank range. Aggies have the proverbial buzzard luck --- can't kill nothin', can't find nothin' dead.

Well, there are still fifteen minutes to go and sometimes miracles happen, so we'll see how things turn out. My gut feeling coming into this game was that any 7-5 team from the SEC would be substantially better than any 6-6 team from the Big 12, simply because the SEC is tougher overall. I hope I'm wrong, but Georgia looks like they can name the score in Shreveport.

Added 9:16 pm: Georgia 44, TAMU 20. The Bulldogs outscored the Aggies 20-6 in the fourth quarter. Considering the way A&M has been kicked around by better teams for most of the last three seasons, it was foolish to expect anything other than more bowl game disappointment. It's been a long time since I watched an A&M football win on television, but maybe before I die, I'll get to see another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment