Thursday, November 5, 2009

Welfare woes

The Austin American Statesman is the only major Texas paper that follows this story diligently. It interests me more than most news reports because at the time I retired, I'd spent half of my life working in that state agency, dealing with many of the same problems that exist today: long lead times, application delinquency, quality control errors, staff shortages and stress, training issues, and so forth. During my tenure, of course, the problems were much less serious, but I can still relate to the situation based on personal knowledge and experience.

Since I understand who's responsible for creating this mess, I always roll my eyes when I hear conservative Republicans claiming they can improve anything or do something more efficiently. Whenever Republicans start "solving" a problem, it'll only be a matter of time until the problem is much, much worse. Count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment