Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gridiron, Week 12

The Aggies vs the longhorns at 7:00 tonight. On ESPN. I can still remember when those two teams played meaningful games on ESPN on Thanksgiving night. Then someone decided it would be better for TV if the games were moved to Friday morning. That decision was reached around the time the Big 12 Conference was introduced.

Tonight's game is still meaningful for one team. The longhorns have a date with destiny, having already decided this is the year they add one more national championship to their record. The Aggies are another minor speed bump on their schedule, and should be on the short end of the score when it's all over. The line is something like three TDs, and the last time A&M was an underdog by that much, Oklahoma ran them into the ditch, 65-10. Since this is a home game, A&M might cover the spread; the upset wins in 2006-2007 prove that anything is possible. My advice would be to take the horns and give the points if you're inclined to wager on sporting events. Prediction: longhorns win 45-10.

Added 8:38 pm: The longhorns scored with 0:04 left in the second to take a 28-21 lead into halftime. Texas may not be quite as good as I thought they were. Before the game started, I decided I'd watch until Texas got 14 points ahead. At the time, I thought I'd probably be changing channels midway through the first quarter. Instead, the Aggies scored on a 70-yard pass play on their opening possession, led 7-0, and basically matched each Texas score until that last one right at the end of the 2nd quarter. The longhorn lead never exceeded seven points, and I kept watching. If the Aggies keep trading scores with the horns, it's gonna be a long night, though. A close game is only good if TAMU wins.

Added 10:50 pm: I followed through on my promise to myself, and left the game in the third quarter, when the longhorns scored first to open a 35-21 lead. The game just ended, 49-39. The Aggies covered the spread, but a close loss in this game is heartbreaking. It would be easier for me to handle the blowout I was expecting, so I wouldn't have to think, "So near, and yet so far away."

As in, "What if the Aggies could've stopped that TD right before halftime ?"

Texas may still win their national championship, but if they're matched against a team with an offense as good as A&M's and a much better defense, they're up shit creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment