Thursday, November 24, 2016

Football 2016: Week Thirteen

Thanksgiving weekend, and the regular season essentially ends. The games that might be worth watching on TV are nearly all traditional rivalries that have been played around this time of year as long as I've been a college football fan.

Here are the most promising games with the College Football News score predictions:
  • Tonight, LSU plays at Texas A&M on ESPN. Not a traditional rivalry game yet,  and LSU has won all four games played since the Aggies moved into the SEC West. The CFN prediction has LSU winning for the fifth straight year (27-20). A&M has collapsed since the New Mexico State game, so the score might not be that close. On the other hand, the season could be saved with an Aggie win. I wish the Aggies had showed sparks of life in November. UPDATE: At the half, I decided I'd had as much of that crap as I could stomach, so I switched to a movie instead. I haven't seen a complete A&M football game since October. This sums up my thoughts.
  • The Iron Bowl is the 2:30 showcase game on CBS Saturday. Auburn has had a good season since their loss to A&M, but Bama is probably too much for them. Bama is too much for just about anybody you can name. CFN says the Tide rolls 30-16.
  • Michigan at Ohio State on ABC (Saturday at 11:00 AM). If you're going to watch a Big Ten game on TV, this is one that's usually worth seeing. Both teams are 10-1 and the Buckeyes are favored by about a touchdown. CFN thinks Michigan gets a close 19-16 win in a head-bumping contest.
  • The Egg Bowl is set for 2:30 Saturday on SECN. The game features the two teams that wrecked A&M's season with back-to-back losses: Mississippi State at Ole Miss. I hate both of them. CFN expects a lot of scoring, with Ole Miss eking out a 38-37 win.
  • Florida at Florida State (Saturday at 7:00 PM on ABC). If I watch this game, I'll pull for the Gators, since A&M is 0-4 against FSU, and the Seminoles have ruined my day four times, which is two more than Florida has. CFN is calling this a 20-17 win for Florida. 
UPDATE Saturday 11:56 PM
  • LSU beat Texas A&M 54-39
  • Alabama beat Auburn 30-12
  • Ohio State beat Michigan 30-27 in OT
  • Florida State beat Florida 31-13
  • Mississippi State beat Ole Miss 55-20

No comments:

Post a Comment