Monday, January 1, 2024

FOOTBALL 2023: CFP Semifinal Games

The gradual collapse of the Jimbo Fisher era at Texas A&M did much to reduce my interest in college football, but this afternoon I decided to watch at least some of the CFP semifinal game at the Rose Bowl between Michigan and Alabama. For me to enjoy a game like this, I have to find a rooting interest in one of the teams, and many years ago, I came up with a device that helps me do that: Assuming the Aggies have played both teams at some point since 1964, I will pull for the one A&M beat in its most recent game against them. In today's case, that makes Michigan the team I'm pulling for (since A&M beat the Wolverines 22-20 in a 1995 bowl game the last time the teams played each other). Alabama has beaten A&M twice since the most recent Aggie win.

Michigan also gets bonus points because the state voted for Joe Biden in 2020, an important win for Democrats. Alabama is one of the worst red state shitholes and sent Tommy Tuberville to the U.S. Senate, so I have a few additional reasons to hope Michigan beats the snot out of the Sabans. With luck, I won't jinx the Wolverines this evening. At halftime, Michigan leads 13-10.

First Update: The game ended 20-20, and went to overtime. Michigan scored and Alabama didn't, so Michigan won 27-20. Fuck Nick Saban and Tommy Tuberville. 

Final Update: I didn't see any of the Sugar Bowl after the first quarter, but Washington gave Texas U. another big game defeat (37-31). A good day for Blue States over red state shitholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment