Saturday, December 6, 2014

Football 2014: Week Fifteen

The season is staggering to the finish line today. The only TV game I'm really interested in seeing is the SEC championship match between Alabama and Missouri. I don't know how good Mizzou is, since they weren't able to give A&M the kind of pounding the Tide gave them. The conventional wisdom is that the teams in the SEC East haven't been that strong lately, especially compared to the SEC West. In football, who you play is just as important as how you play, so maybe Mizzou is just the best of a bad lot. At any rate, I've hated them since the old BDF days, and I hope Bama humiliates them today. They're a two-touchdown favorite, but College Football News predicts a tight game, with Alabama finally pulling out a 31-23 win.

I normally don't pull for Kansas State, for the same reason I don't pull for Missouri, but I'd like to see them beat the snot out of Baylor today. The goddamn Bears need a reality check, but they're favored by 8 points at home.

Somehow, I got through the entire 2014 season without watching a single Big Ten game. Wisconsin is a four point favorite today, but CFN expects Ohio State will will claim the championship 34-27.

Added 4:46 PM: Alabama leads Mizzou 21-3 at halftime. Not as one-sided as I'd like it to be, but it'll have to do.

Added 6:40 PM: Missouri's best offensive play was the long Hail Mary pass heaved when their quarterback was scrambling for survival. I lost count of the number of times desperation bombs were completed for big gains, but it happened enough to make it a subject of discussion in the broadcast booth. In the third quarter, Missouri closed the gap to 21-13. Then Alabama locked the game down with power running and smothering defense, and won it 42-13. Tough shit, Mizzou.

No comments:

Post a Comment